WINTER 2021 APPLICATION
Spaceworks invites entrepreneurs with a creative/innovative business that benefits Tacoma’s community and who are seeking to grow a thriving business to apply to participate in our Incubator program. Spaceworks’ Incubator provides relevant and meaningful business training and peer-to-peer support to systematically grow Tacoma’s creative economy and generate destination quality activities that will engage and transform our community.
The Business Launch Cohort is for folks that are farther along than having a business idea (the idea cohort happens twice a year as well). Please see the eligibility requirements below.
We serve as a training ground to test new ideas, products and services with a safety net of technical assistance and mentorship. Following is the online application to submit your materials, including your Proposal, Work Samples. We suggest gathering all of these materials prior to starting the online application, although you can save your work and return to it later.
- Microenterprise (fewer than 5 employees)
- Planning to do business in Tacoma
- Tested product or service in the market or extensive background in the industry of your business (friends, family, markets, social media, etc.)
The review process is competitive, and the panel will be looking for a diversity of businesses. Businesses will be selected based on the criteria and scored per the percentages listed below.
- Innovation and Creativity 25% - How novel is the product or service?
- Scale and Impact 20% - i.e., Brick and mortar/space activation, multiple employees, hours per week.
- Financial Need 10% - Low-to-moderate income household, impacted by COVID-19?
- Quality of Product or Service 20% - Is this something people would buy/pay for? Is there a need in the market?
- Community Investment/Involvement 25% - How will the entrepreneur collaborate and contribute to the vibrancy and growth of the community?
Incubator applications are reviewed by a Selection Panel including Spaceworks’ Steering Committee members, Spaceworks’ Alumni, and Community Members. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by December 17th, 2021 following the decision of the Panel. Spaceworks is committed to recruiting an applicant pool that reflects the diversity of Tacoma. We will only move forward with the selection panel once we achieve that commitment.
If accepted into the Spaceworks Incubator, there is a sliding scale $200 fee to support our services for small businesses. The services that we offer small businesses are valued in the $11,000-dollar range, and we are dedicated to bringing those services to you at a much lower price. To fill in the gap, we are dependent on grants, sponsorship, and donations. We offer a sliding scale and payments plans and will not turn anyone away due to inability to pay.
Payment will be requested upon acceptance into the program. There is no cost to apply.
Please contact Jennifer English, Spaceworks Incubator Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or to set up a time for an application review prior to your submittal (highly recommended).
APPLICATIONS DUE December 1, 2021 by midnight, PST
Notifications will be sent out December 17th, 2021
Class begins on January 11th, 2021